Monday, August 12, 2013

The No Longer Single (Room) Life

Singles. Doubles. Triples.

Those were the three options we had my first year of college when signing up for living in our dorm rooms.  The way housing works at my school is you send in a housing confirmation thing saying you want to live on campus and the sooner you do it, the better chance you have of getting your first choice type of room.

I sent it in the day I got accepted and got a Single and I was ECSTATIC.

(Fictional Representation of Me That Day)


Don't get me wrong, I am very sociable and love meeting new people I just like to have my alone time sometimes where I just watch a movie in my room, take a nap, or watch a few episodes of my tv shows.  (By few episodes, I actually mean a few seasons of tv shows haha)

But ANYWAY! where I was going with this post was that in my first year I met a lot of awesome people and was lucky enough to find enough friends that I have chosen to live with in an apartment on campus.

Now here comes the kicker.. This year I am going to be in a DOUBLE!  I admit at first I was a little nervous since I just had a full year in a single and loved it but I am actually really excited to finally get that first year college experience of having a roommate... in my second year of college ... WHATEVER, Better Late Than Never

(I see yo judgemental eyes on me but whatever haha)


My roommate is a good friend of mine who was always there for most of my first year and we would always invite to hang with us and slowly but surely he mustered up enough trust to join our group more so than usual turning him into a solid element to our group of friends right now.

I am no longer nervous about living with someone else in the same room and having to share space, I just pray that living in close quarters does not hurt our friendship which unfortunately does happen to people who have requested each other as roommates.

BUT I AM STAYING POSITIVE: I feel like so long as we distinguish basic ground rules in the beginning and keep open communication, it will be perfect.  The last thing I want is for him to find I have an annoying habit and for him to keep it bottled up inside when all we would need to do is talk about it... And it is a two-way street so I too must put in the roommate effort.

What am I most excited about for having a roommate you ask?

  • Blanket Forts
  • Pillow Talk 
    • Shut up, everyone likes it and I find it to be one of the best ways to getting to know someone better
  • Shared printer/mini fridge/TV 
    • No more needing to pay for my own ink and have someone to split with
      • I am NOT a mooch
  • I get to introduce him to people as "my roommate"
    • It's actually a lot of fun, I have already started saying it
  • MOVIE NIGHTS
    • He and I are both big movie buffs 
    • SO MANY POP CULTURE REFERENCES
  • Getting the chance to get to know someone better because I really do hope this is a great year and that we make the most of it so we can be even closer of friends


.

No comments:

Post a Comment