Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Float Like a Cadillac, Sting Like a Beamer

Road trips can be a lot of fun if you are with the right people, and luckily, I survived a big road trip with my family this past weekend all the way from San Francisco to Flagstaff, Arizona to see the Grand Canyon.  That is roughly 12 hours driving plus stopping for bathroom breaks, stretching legs, and going through a few rounds of Chinese Fire Drills at gas stations.

Originally we were planning on going up to Lake Shasta for the weekend but about a week before I brought up the idea that we should try something different and somewhat jokingly offered going to the Grand Canyon.  One week later we were up at 4am and hitting the road and man am I glad my family is spontaneous because the trip was awesome!


On the way there though, we stopped by ZION NATIONAL PARK and holy crap that place was beautiful!  Although the Grand Canyon was, well, GRAND in it's own obvious way, Zion National Park was amazing and had this great serenity about it that I was obsessed with for a while.  

I love that picture on the right because you get an idea of just how enormous these mountains were compared to a full sized Yukon


And no I did not fall in love with this place solely because of the fact that this place was off of Route 66 and basically identical to Radiator Springs from 'Cars'.  Driving through the mountains kept me in awe over the size of the mountains and I think why I especially loved it was that unlike Yosemite where you are constantly driving past picnic areas, rest stops with port-a-potties, and families of tourists flocking towards tourist information booths, as you drive through here there are only stops at the end and the beginning.  So all you see is the beauty of the mountains and all you hear is ... nothing.

        

I honestly could have stayed there all day and just kept driving and driving around. 


Inside the national park too are a bunch of lodging joints that looked really comfy and homey so my family and I are already planning on the next time we go that we spend a night in Zion National Park and wake up.  Like holy crap imagine the sunrise at this place... I can only imagine... for now.


Look at this rainbow at the entrance! I should have known at this point that the next place was going to be getting even more beautiful with this beginning it.



So in review: Zion National Park is not some outer space zone but an enormous and beautiful plot of nature in Arizona you have to visit in your life time.





No comments:

Post a Comment