Saturday, September 14, 2013

September Can be Spooky Too

It may still be September but as soon as I saw that the pumpkin spice latte was back in Starbucks, I have basically decided it is time to get into the Halloween Season!  Pumpkin flavored everything, orange leaves (in pictures, none outside where I live really), and watching Classic October Halloweeny movies!

[I have yet to see my neighborhood look like this]

Typically this includes The Nightmare Before Christmas, Hocus Pocus, Halloweentown Movies (Classics and you know it), and a bunch more!  But this year I found another one that I think needs a little more appreciation.  Mockingbird Lane is what I am talking about.

I first heard about it when I was on the Studio Tour at Universal Studios and had heard about an upcoming series.  1313 Mockingbird Lane was to be the home of a remake family of Munsters.

[Paul from the past took this photo on the tour in case Future Paul liked Mockingbird Lane and it turns out, Past-Paul was right!]

Mockingbird Lane was supposed to be a series picked up starting last fall but was found to lack enough potential to be a compelling enough series but not due to it being sucky, instead they turned it into a Halloween Special on NBC.  I did not watch it last fall when it premiered and instead watched it last weekend.  I actually enjoyed it even if it was only 40 minutes long and found it to be a cute family Halloween thing to watch that I would not mind keeping as a September/October tradition.

The special had Jerry O'Connell as Herman Munster (the Frankenstein Dad) married to Portia de Rossi (the Vampiress Mom) whose Dracula Dad/Grampa was played by Eddie Izzard and whose "normal" niece is played by Charity Wakefield




Above is the son of 'Frankenstein' and the sexy vampiress of this show is Mason Cook who is going through some changes of his own as he deals with becoming a werewolf... without knowing that he is the werewolf wreaking havoc on the innocent (not much of a spoiler that's how the show starts).  

In terms of the characters, the Dracula thing was a little over the top for me...

... but looking back I think it was more playful and meant to be over the top due to it being for families and kids more than being a horror version of the Munsters.  I mean, I never saw the Munsters original series but I am sure that this show did it justice in portraying the family the way they did as they took up an abandoned home originally set to be destroyed due to a homicidal past...not the house killing people, but the people in it ... hopefully you got that.

Anyway, in case you were interested in watching it here is the link to the NBC website 

http://www.nbc.com/mockingbird-lane/video/mockingbird-lane/n29651/

and if that does not work I am sorry but I am sure you have other ways of finding a way to watch if you really wanted to.  Personally I think it was a good way to kick off the Halloween Season and start dreaming of packing in candy.

HAPPY ALMOST MONTH OF HALLOWEEN!


.


No comments:

Post a Comment