Monday, September 23, 2013

Just Look At It This Way

So far I have been pretty good in crossing off movies off of my list of 250 movies to watch in my 'Just Add Popcorn' and the latest movie I saw was Life is Beautiful.

HOLY COW EVERYONE

That movie was amazing.  Like seriously.  It is on Netflix.  And if you do not have Netflix, you HAVE to find a way to watch this movie.  It's a foreign film from 1997 that was nominated for 7 Academy Awards and won 3 of them including Best Actor in a Leading Role for Roberto Benigni, Best Foreign Film, and Best Music Score.

The movie was incredible and made me feel so many emotions it was not okay at all.  It is a World War II Concentration Camp in Berlin type movie... except for not.  It was like no Holocaust movie I had ever seen and because it was so different and heartwarming it instantly became one of my new favorite movies.  

To put it into perspective, the day before I watched The Pianist and was ready to just die from the stress and so the next day when I started watching Life is Beautiful I was expecting death and tears and blood and me crying in my room but instead I felt really good from this movie.  The beginning part of the movie even had me look up on IMDB the genre of the movie because I was doubting whether it was a drama or a comedy.


Like y'all do not even understand, even finding this gif I just smiled remembering the sweet lovable character of Guido.

Also the movie reminded me of an awesome story that one of my high school teachers once told us all.

HERE READ THIS AND LET ME KNOW IF YOU WILL WATCH THE MOVIE FROM THIS STORY

"There were two men in a hospital room for two different types of symptoms.  One man's bed where he lay was by the window and he could sit up unlike the other man who was closer to the door and he could only lay flat due to his condition.  Everyday the man by the window would tell the other man about the beautiful sights of a park across the street from the hospital and of families walking around and having a good time.  The descriptions would amuse the man without the view but it also made him jealous that he could not see outside the window.  One day, the man with the bed by the window saw a parade and told the other man of all the smiles, colors, and happiness he could see and this enlightened the other man, but still made him more jealous.  The next day, the man by the window could not breathe and could not reach his remote to call the nurse.  The other man saw this but did not act upon this.  The man by the window passed away that day and as they moved his body, the man without the view asked the nurse if she could move his bed to be by the window.  She gladly moved his bed and left.  The man was extremely happy that he could finally see something else besides the room he has been in for many days now.  He somehow found the strength to lift himself.  When he looked out the window however, all he saw was a massive brick wall from the building beside the hospital."

I have always loved that story and all I could think about while watching Life is Beautiful was this story and how all it takes to make someone else happy is to change their focus from what it is making them depressed and keep them dreaming for more.  To change someone's perspective is a selfless act I wish one day I could do for someone else just as Guido and the man in the story did for someone else.



No comments:

Post a Comment