Tuesday, September 2, 2014

I Eat Nueve Out of Seven Days a Week

Wow ... literally months now since my last post, like, wow.  Anyone still there? Of Course You Are! HI EVERYONE! Don't think I have forgotten about my blog I just simply turned out to be less active during the Summer which is when I thought I would be most active ... Oh well, I am here now and have been saving up so much quality information and food to share with you all for the next many more months to come.

Aside from being with my parents and not having to work or study or do anything like that, one of the best things about being home for Summer, as many students will agree, is being able to eat out at restaurants with parents.  Not only do my parents pay (I THANK THEM FOR TAKING ME TO FOOD SO MUCH), but they are both very adventurous when it comes to food and when we go to a new place, we usually like to try a little bit of everything... remember my post "Rolls on Rolls on Rolls" - oh yea! And since I am who I am, I was perpetually hungry throughout Summer and was always ready to eat more food.

That was me not too long ago

Anyway, so one of the places I went to was a new Mexican Restaurant that opened up back in the bay in San Bruno on 851 Cherry Ave. that has managed to turn Latin Cuisine into an exciting adventure through their various menus depending on your choice of dining during breakfast, lunch, or dinner hours. 

Me Too Ed, Me Too


My mom and I went to lunch and absolutely fell in love with it's deliciousness and I insisted we come back to try their breakfast and dinner menus on other days.

So although we ate lunch first and then came back for breakfast and then dinner another day, I'll write about the meals in the order they TYPICALLY go in an American day.

BREAKFAST

Somehow, I managed to convince my whole family to go to brunch after nagging them and it was AMAZING - I think their breakfast menu may very well be my favorite of their menus. Let's start

Huevos Divorciados ("Divorced Eggs" lol)
Basically it is as if two separate over-easy eggs decided to get a divorce but still had to share their plate together as they figure out their lives.  Honestly, I hope they realize their divorce is a mistake because together the eggs in chile verde and the eggs in the tomatillo sauce when mixed together and topped with some twice-cooked beans your mouth is surprisingly not overwhelmed but rather welcomed to a good mixture of flavor, spice, and bang!

Carnitas Hash
This was my plate and was recommended by our waiter, I was not disappointed.   Eggs, carnitas, tomatillo sauce, and carnitas con rajas are served atop a shallow bowl of tasty black beans that combine with just the right flavors mixing.  Carnitas can oftentimes be unnecessarily mushy and wet but these carnitas are cooked and served to a perfect crisp and moisture with great flavor and spice in this dish.

Chilaquiles
A classic dish that is no stranger to Latin Cuisine especially on a Mexican Breakfast Menu.  Really enjoyed this plate since the chips were slightly crunchy and not mushy as some restaurants have the tendency to drown them in sauce and ends up turning it into nothing but salsa.  With the eggs and beans the combination of the three in this dish have every texture and flavor one needs to satisfy the palette.


Horchata Pancakes
OH. MY. LORD. Not trying to impose a religion on you all but this dish was an outer body experience that took me to heaven, slapped me silly, and sent me straight back to finish up what goodness I had started.  Fluffy, drizzled with caramel, and topped with freshly glazed bananas these pancakes not only melt in your mouth but send your taste buds on a roller coaster of sweet blissful greatness. THE BEST DISH OFFERED AT NUEVE

LUNCH
oh yes, there's more

Carne Asada Torta
Oaxaca, Roasted Bell Peppers, Caramelized Onions, Chipotle Aoli, Carne Asada.  The torta buns are grilled to toasty perfection being crispy on the outside and fluffy enough on the inside to hold together all this banging flavor.  The meat is cooked just right and the combination of bell peppers and onions is accentuated with the chipotle aioli as opposed to simply being roasted vegetable atop some slabs of meat, it is much more than that.


Hamburguesa Torta ("Hamburger Sandwich" basically)
This badass piece of art is the hamburger sandwich to shut down all hamburger sandwiches everywhere.  Chorizo, Queso Fresco, Mole Poblano, Red Onions, Cilantro, Pickled Jalapenos, Avocado Slaw, a Crispy Onion, and Chipotle Aioli fill crispy buns with flavor, spice, and crunch - enough to fill your mouth with juicy tender meat, roasted flavors, and sweet spicy goodness.

Nueve Fries
Go back to those two lunch dishes and you will find the best fries I have had in my entire life.  I know I sound dramatic when I describe food sometimes, but just sit there, read, and understand what made these fries better than the grease served up in other places.  These fries are layered with jalapeno jelly, topped with cilantro, and then graced by delicious cotija cheese.  The fries are sweet and savory, but a type of sweetness where we could not quite figure out how they could taste glazed to perfection and were delightfully pleased to hear about the jalapeno jelly. Crispy. Sweet. Savory.

DINNER
Last, but DEFINITELY Not Least

Horchata
Kickin' the dinner menu off nice and easy with something that has to be shared.  Now that you read about the Horchata Pancakes, you can now rest peacefully knowing they DO serve normal Horchata not in bread-form and they DO serve delicious Horchata - Mexican Approved

Queso Fundido
In my mind, Queso Fundido is the unsung hero of Mexican Appetizers; most people understand simple Chips & Salsa as being what people eat before a meal, but Queso Fundido (melted cheese) can be much more satisfying, and is definitely necessarily satisfying at Nueve as the chefs mix the Queso with mushrooms, chorizo, poblano peppers and served with fresh flour tortillas for you to spread the melted cheese over and devour allowing the savory melted cheese to ooze in your mouth.


Spicy Camarones al Ajillo
Test your taste buds with this dish and see just how much you enjoy spicy food.  To me, spicy food is nothing if it does not have flavor.  The Spicy Camarones al Ajillo are served with Guajillo chili and garlic pan roasted prawns with cilantro rice kicking your taste buds right where they can feel it but packing them as well with so much spice and absolute flavor that you will not forget just how good spicy goodness can taste without having to absolutely destroy your taste buds.  Spicy food can be savory and tasty, not murderous and vengeful.


My goal in the beginning of the Summer after having lunch at NUEVE was simply to try the breakfast and dinner menus at the location.  Maybe it was just because of the unknown of what this tasty place had to offer.  But I think that it is because I was so satisfied that lunch session with those sweet crispy fries that I needed more.  



We were surprised and impressed with the Horchata Pancakes the following weekend, and pleased with the dining we had a few days later for dinner making NUEVE a Latin Cuisine spot we frequent.  Now that I am back in San Diego, it is hard to write about this place as this is back home and even though we are SO CLOSE to Mexico, I have yet to find Horchata Pancakes.  Perhaps I'll bring them down here, but either way, I will definitely be returning soon






No comments:

Post a Comment