Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Practically Perfect in Every Way

I have no idea why I have not posted about this yet but Disney's Saving Mr. Banks is one of my top top top movies that YOU need to watch and I am always down to watch.  I have no idea why it was not nominated for more Academy Awards because it is Awesome! Not just because it's Disney and not just because Tom Hanks plays WALT DISNEY ...but it definitely helps


So for those of you that don't know first off, Saving Mr. Banks is based on the process Walt Disney went through to convince P.L. Travers, the author of Mary Poppins (played by the lovely and amazing Emma Thompson), to get the rights to make the movie.. drum roll please... Mary Poppins!

As tale comes to tell as portrayed in the movie, P.L. Travers was not very easy to convince and she had to have it HER WAY in making the film adaptation OR ELSE NO RIGHTS, but because Walt too was a stubborn man and would LOVE to have Mary Poppins join his ensemble of characters he considers to be his family, the conflict between the two gets to be pretty good as Mrs. Travers just about shuts down every idea they have while making the movie.

You can imagine how bad THIS LINE is when creating the movie adaptation because of a certain other word that is so iconic in Mary Poppins ... Spoiler Alert...it's Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Emma Thompson KILLS IT as P.L. Travers and you basically wanna give her a piece of your mind throughout the entire movie as she rips apart just about every song they come up with, every detail in the script, and what seems to be every remaining detail in the story.  Did you know she did not even want there to be any hint of attraction between Mary Poppins and Bert?

Please, those two are perfect for each ... practically perfect in every way

But the movie is not just some Disney movie with a bunch of sing-along-songs throughout and dancing animals (that ends up being in Mary Poppins, duh), this movie is actually a drama with A LOT of depth and emotion which is probably why I love it so much (I like those types of movies)


I mean just LOOK at the movie poster! You just know the movie is gonna be good and magical and everything everybody needs and would enjoy so you need to go along now and watch the movie.

Furthermore, I wanna talk a bit more about Mary Poppins.   I made my roommate watch Saving Mr. Banks a few days before my birthday and he liked it a lot too and so did my other friend and it just reassured me that the movie is great... but I mean, even if they didn't like it I still would have loved it because it is good and no one can tell me otherwise.  Anyway, for my birthday, he got me the original book version of Mary Poppins


I read the book ASAP and thought it was a lot of fun and definitely an easy read, you should go read it.  Like really, if you can read my posts, the book is gonna be a piece of cake.  The book is however very different from the movie, whether or not that was what Walt wanted or what, I like both definitely.  They're both different but they are both pleasing, enjoyable, and can teach you a lot while having a lot of fun.

Now my apartment-mates and I have been itching to rewatch Mary Poppins and basically complete the tri-fecta of Mary Poppins goodness.  Book, Movie, and Movie is great and just about as perfect as Mary Poppins ... but not completely ..

(Now you understand the title of this post?)

But yea, so whether you want to relive your childhood (Watch Mary Poppins), watch a good drama with a great cast and good humor (Watch Saving Mr. Banks), or have a good easy read that anyone in your family could enjoy (Read Mary Poppins), Mary Poppins can be there for you at any time of the day at any time of the year.

Any of those three are really just as sweet as a spoonful of sugar



.

No comments:

Post a Comment